"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Empty Driveway

I held my breath as I turned the familiar three turns at the beginning of the neighborhood I grew up in. I was on my way to drop the kids off at my parents' house for a few hours. I was invited to a girls' night out at Painting With a Twist, and even though I was exhausted and emotional, I pushed the petal and continued on my way.

As I headed down the road, I let out a quiet sigh. The driveway was still empty.

Thank you, Jesus.

It seemed silly to want to deny the inevitable. Even though the moving trucks had yet to arrive, they'd be there soon. I knew that. I just wasn't ready to face them quite yet.

The emptiness of the house stabbed at my heart. I quietly fought back tears as I composed myself in my parents' driveway. I had just finished spending the day listening to the squeals and giggles of their girls playing with my crew - our last official play date. It was bittersweet knowing they were at our house so that their parents, our good friends, could sign the papers to finalize their move.

Deep. Breaths. 

I fully admit that I'm a very sensitive person. I could never do what they do. I always get so attached; I would kill me to move so often. They sacrifice so much, and while I am thankful for their service and commitment to our country, I am (selfishly) so incredibly sad to see them go.

Last week, by the grace of God and the help of my awesome big brother, we were able to go out on a kid-free double date. You know you are sharing a meal with awesome people when you start off with prayer and end with stories that have you laughing until you cry. It was so much fun; it actually made me really mad that we had waited so long to make it happen!

Check out that shiny tooth action!

As terrible as this sounds, as we've neared the end of their time with us, I've started to feel like one of my kids fighting to let go of a favorite toy.

Please, God, don't make me share!

The truth is, I don't usually allow myself to get this close to people. I've built (too many) walls trying to protect my heart from the pain of either being hurt or what seems to be (especially in the last few years) the inevitable move to another state.

Our kids are going to grow by leaps and bounds in the next few years, and we will have 2,000 miles separating us. I know that we have phone calls, texts, Facebook, and Skype, but I also know that life will get busy and phone calls are always so freaking hard for us mamas.

Let's be honest. This is going to be hard. 


But for now, we will take it one day at a time. We will say goodbye with tight hugs and heavy hearts. Hopefully the red beans from my parents will last them a little while, and the love we packed in their hearts will help get them through this hard transition. We will be praying for safe travels as they load up their van and start out on their newest adventure in just a couple of days. I know they've lived many places over the years, but I'd like to think that our family helped to make this place really feel like home. The only problem is, as much as that may have helped while they were here, it will also probably make it that much harder to leave. (You gotta love a good catch-22!)



Would you mind offering up a prayer for both of our families? Saying goodbye is going to be so very hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget